These pickled balsamic onions are a great way to use up the small onion bulbs that form at the base of old walking onions. You can, of course, use any small onion instead. They are great to eat as a snack, are delicious as a pizza topping, or can be eaten warm as a side dish.
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 1/2 tbs brown sugar, firmly packed
- pinch of salt
- 2 pounds small onions, peeled and trimmed
- Combine vinegars, sugar and salt in a corrosion-proof pot. Heat on medium until barely boiling.
- Add the onions and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Scoop the onions into 5 clean, hot 500 mL jars. Pour the hot liquid over the onions.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator, or process for 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.